Back Button

June 4, 2014

 

Terence L. Ibbotson
Died June 2, 2014

SUTTONS BAY – Terence “Terry” Ibbotson of Suttons Bay, passed away on June 2, 2014 at his home.
  Terry was born on Nov. 4, 1944 in Detroit, the son of Howard and Florence (Bammert) Ibbotson.  He was raised in Royal Oak and graduated from Western Michigan University with a Master’s degree in psychology, later earning a Master of Social Work from Michigan State University. 
  He moved to Traverse City in the mid 1970s to begin a career in social services with the State of Michigan until his retirement in 2007. 

  Being a compassionate man, his career encompassed work with Juvenile Justice, Child Protective Services, and the Bureau of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs. 
  In May of 1983, he married his partner for life, Christine Chapman, at their home in Suttons Bay where they continued to live, raise their sons, and enjoy the beauty of Leelanau County and Grand Traverse Bay.
  Terry was a unique man with many passions.  He was a movie buff, motorcycle enthusiast, mechanic wannabe, golfer, faithful sports fan (Lions, Tigers, and Spartans), avid reader, loyal friend, and devoted husband and father.

  Those who knew him unanimously agree that his ineffable wit could incite laughter at even the most solemn of times.
Among his many pursuits, Terry’s greatest passion was his family.  He was an exceptional man, a loving husband, and a paragon of fatherhood. 
  His relationship with his wife was the epitome of partnership and together they created a home full of love and laughter in which they raised their boys and welcomed and entertained family and friends endlessly.  As a father, his greatest joy was being actively involved in every aspect of his sons’ lives. 
  This included fostering high academic achievement, coaching them in all of their sports, and above all being a gentle, loving role model.  To his sons and wife, he was a rock.
  In addition to his wife of 31 years, Terry is survived by his sons, Scott A. (Daniela) Ibbotson and Blake T. Ibbotson.  He is now reunited with a son, Jordan Edward; and loving brother, Anthony Serge. 
  A memorial service will be held on Friday, June 6 at 11 a.m. with the family greeting friends one hour prior at the Martinson Funeral Home of Suttons Bay.  Rev. Doctor Robin Long will officiate. 
  Please share memories with Terry’s family online at www.martinson.info.
  Arrangements are with the Martinson Funeral Home of Suttons Bay.



10 comments:

  1. Terry and I were good friends during high school and college. Subsequently, my wife and I moved to Oregon, and our contacts were by email. I am very sorry to hear that he has passed away. I will always have fond memories of him.

    John and Beverly Adams/Oregon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris, sorry to hear of your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris, sorry to hear of your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terry was a Brother to me and others of the Sig Taus at WMU, a mentor and friend. Loved to laugh and live life to the fullest.
    Since he ( and Paul Gulbis ) were a few years older than me, their favorite saying as they went off to get libations was "See ya later, kid". We kept in touch sporadically over the years but I always had a great affection for him.

    Robert B. 'Barney' Doerr

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paul Gulbis7:40 PM

    I'm sorry to hear of your loss Chris, Scott, & Blake. Terry (Ib) and I were college roommates, fraternity brothers and good friends. His dry humor and quick wit will be missed but remembered with fondness.

    Barb & Paul Gulbis

    ReplyDelete
  6. My sincere condolence for the loss of IB. Terry and I were fraternity brothers during our Western years and IB was a significant part in providing me support, friendship and good times while at school. Sorry we did not bring some of our relationship past those memorable years at school. As fraternity brothers, nick names where handed out and Terry, Paul, Jake and Barney were all gathered to provide mine...P-6. Along with my name Peter Percich other words beginning with the letter P were put together to describe me...of course those words, as to IB's and the other mens view of me...I never have forgotten Terry nor will I. P-6

    ReplyDelete
  7. Extremely sorry to hear of Terry's passing. Condolences to Chris, Blake and Scott. I held Terry ( Ib ) in very high esteem.
    We were room mates at WMU and he became a role model for me. Very generous, kind and brotherly at all times.
    He will be missed by all who knew him.
    Robert B. 'Barney' Doerr

    ReplyDelete
  8. Patrick11:30 AM

    I am shattered from the loss of my great friend of 36 years. He was so remarkable in so many ways, and he loved you Chris, Scott and Blake, so very,very much. He lives in eternity in heaven, his pain is gone, and for those that believe in God and Jesus Christ, you will be reunited with him and Jordan and all the faithful departed. I will remember T not for the last days of his life, but for all the joy he gave to me and Dana, and how he, and you, treated my son Alex like one of your own. I will always be there for you guys, and I will "never forget!"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous1:25 PM

    I was shocked and saddened to learn of Terry's death. As you know we were first cousins and I always said his dad, my Uncle Howard, was my favorite uncle. May the many memories of your life together sustain you through this time of grief. My heartfelt condolences. Pat

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous1:28 PM

    I was shocked and saddened to learn of Terry's passing. As you know we were first cousins and I always said his dad, my Uncle Howard, was my favorite uncle. May all the good memories of your life together sustain you and give you comfort. Please accept my heartfelt condolences. Pat

    ReplyDelete