Back Button

December 2, 2017

David O. Fredrickson Died Nov. 13, 2017



David O. Fredrickson
Died Nov. 13, 2017

TRAVERSE CITY – David Otis Fredrickson, 67, of Traverse City, died peacefully on Monday, Nov. 13, 2017 at Munson Hospice House.

David was born June 16, 1950 in Traverse City; the son of Daphne O. Fredrickson and the late James R. Fredrickson of Traverse City.

Dave graduated from Traverse City High School in 1968.  He graduated from Princeton University in 1972.  He received his Juris Doctorate degree from the University of Michigan Law School in 1978.  Dave was a member of the Grace Episcopal Church in Traverse City.  

He was also a volunteer at the Jubilee House and with the Democratic Party of Traverse City.  A voracious reader, Dave had a keen interest in world history, politics and current events.  Dave will be dearly missed by his family and friends.

David is survived by his sister and brother-in-law, Pamela and Scott Sullivan of Alamo, CA, his brother and sister-in-law, James and Cynthia Fredrickson of Suttons Bay; his nieces and nephews, Ashley Fredrickson, Christopher Fredrickson, Patrick Sullivan, Brian Sullivan; and his aunt, Joyce Harper.

He was preceded in death by his father, James; a brother Donald Fredrickson in March 2017.

Private family services will be held at a later date.

Condolences may be shared with David’s family below or on our Facebook page.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:12 AM

    I’m so saddened to learn of Dave’s passing. Our paths didn’t cross often in adulthood, but when they did they did I could look forward to most engaging conversations. Growing up with Donald and David, this year has been a year of tremendous personal loss. My heart goes out to the Fredrickson’s. Sincerely, Jim Hagen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joel Casler9:33 PM

    Please let me express my sadness to the family at their loss of Dave's wit, reason, and yes his wisdom. I didn't know Dave well although he treated me (as well as others) with respect and was always willing to share an opinion. Usually with a large helping of factual reference along with a tinge of political bias. I am truly sorry for your (our) loss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:59 AM

    My deepest sympathy to Dave's family and friends. I remember many happy hours of animated conversation with him. I remember his lively humor, his great intelligence, and his concern for the social good. I remember his Camaro, his wonderful collection of books, his parties the 6th. St. house. So sorry to hear he's gone.

    Steve Sleder

    Sent on: 12 December, 2017

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please accept my deepest sympathy for the loss of David, son, brother,and friend. He was such an engaging, wonderful intellect. His early cynicism and critical thinking affected all of his friends in junior high and on. His spirit will be missed and I will always remember spending good times with him.
    Gretchen Beardslee Wiener

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was stunned to come across this when searching for Daphne's address so I could send her condolences for Donald. Now this! My heart goes out to all the Fredricksons, especially to Pam, Jimmie and Daphne who are left to shoulder so much loss this year.

    I have nothing but the best memories of David's kindness, generosity and wit. He was a charismatic leader who made a lasting impression on his friends and inspired so many. He could analyze, synthesize, verbalize--and write!--as well as the best of our generation. He will be deeply missed.

    To those who wrote above and who share so many memories of David and the rest of the Fredrickson clan, my heart-felt condolences to you, too. The world will be different without David. Barbara Johnson Barron

    ReplyDelete
  6. David was the smartest person I know.
    He lived in one of the cabins I rented out for the winter on Spider Lake and I spent many hours with him for years.
    Shawn Robert Smith, Spider Lake MI

    ReplyDelete