Back Button

January 9, 2018

Charlene M. Steimel Died Jan. 5, 2018


Charlene M. Steimel
Died January 5, 2018

BINGHAM TOWNSHIP – Charlene Marie Steimel, 91, of Bingham Township, passed away on Friday, Jan. 5, 2018 at Munson Hospice House.
Charlene was born on June 12, 1926 in Gills Pier, the daughter of Arthur C. and Anna M. (Kolarik) Houdek.  On Nov. 3, 1945 in Gills Pier, she married Donald Aloysius Steimel who preceded her in death on Jan. 19, 1999.
Charlene is survived by her daughter, Loraine (Gerald) McNeil; son, Alfred (Debbie) Steimel; eight grandchildren and eight great-grandchildren.
In addition to her husband, she was preceded in death by her sons, Kenneth, Gary, and Dale; and daughter, Connie Maxon.
A memorial mass will be held on Thursday, Jan. 18, 2018 at 11 a.m. at St. Michael’s Church, Suttons Bay, with family greeting friends one hour prior.  Fr. Leonard Paul will serve as celebrant.  Interment at St. Michael’s Cemetery will be held in the spring. 
Memorials may be directed to Mass Intentions and/or to Munson Hospice House, 1150 Medical Campus Drive, Traverse City, MI 49684.
Condolences may be shared with Charlene’s family below or on our Facebook page.
Arrangements are with the Martinson Funeral Home & Cremation Services of Leelanau.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:40 PM

    Our sincere condolences on Chars passing. We hope as you reflect on her life that you remember all of the good times you had together.
    We certainly remember her love of gardening and her good Christian heart in giving her flowers weekly for the church alter, and making all of those quilts every year for those less fortunate. We will miss our time with her learning about the history Of the Leelanau. May God bless you with fond memories.

    Gary & Judy Anderson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:59 PM

    Condolences on the loss of Charlene. I spoke to her once several years ago after we purchased the farm where she grew up. The house was long gone and everything was overgrown and dilapidated, though I had heard from neighbors that it was once a beautiful place with glorious gardens. I was hoping she might have some photos of the old place, but she didn't think she did. She asked me if I might have some small memento of the farm that I'd be willing to pass along. I did have something perfect - on old milking pail with Houdek hand painted on it. Sadly I never got around to getting it to her. So, if any of her family would like that memento of her childhood, please let me know. Also if any photos of the farm turn up, I'd love to see them. Sincerely, Kevin Murphy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous12:41 PM

      Kevin, thanks for the offer of the old milk pale with Houdek name on it. The family has old photos the farm. Please call the funeral home (231-271-3441) and we'll give you the family point of contact and email, thanks - Martinson Funeral Home

      Delete
  3. Diana Roubal7:39 PM

    Dear Steimel family, My deepest condolences to you for your loss. I knew her best from sharing quilting sessions with her at St. Mary's. She shared her skills making the rounds at the different quilting groups in the area. She showed me the stacks of quilts she had made when I was at her home one time. I was the recipient of some bushes she shared with me from her beautiful gardens. She was fun to be around with her sense of humor and was able to laugh at herself too. Such a sharing person making and donating so many lap quilts. I admired her strength and independent spirit. My prayers are with you. Sincerely, Diana Roubal

    ReplyDelete