Back Button

December 3, 2013


Hilary Thornhill Chapman
August 2, 1988 - Nov. 25, 2013

SUTTONS BAY - Hilary Thornhill Chapman died unexpectedly in her sleep, of natural causes, in Brooklyn, NY on November 25, 2013.  Hilary was born in Traverse City, Michigan on August 2, 1988 and grew up in Suttons Bay.
  She is the beloved daughter of Kate Thornhill and Robert & Susan Chapman, and sister to Eric Chapman - all of Suttons Bay.  She is also survived by her grandmothers Lillian Chapman of Jamestown, NY and Constance Thornhill of Holland, MI, extended family members Richard Tuxbury and Jeffrey Knebl of Suttons Bay, an aunt, Linda Hiers (Jamestown, NY), an uncle, Thomas Thornhill (Spring Lake, MI) and two cousins, Daniel (Allison Voigt) Thornhill of Washington DC and Jeffrey (Kimberly) Thornhill of Ames, Iowa.
  Hilary was a 2006 graduate of Suttons Bay High School, and a 2010 honors graduate of the University of Michigan.  She moved to NYC after college to pursue a career in the arts.  Hilary first worked for the New York Institute of Arts, but more recently, performed research and writing as Associate in Modern and Contemporary Art for the art auction house Artnet.
  There are no words to describe how much Hilary will be missed.  She was a talented, beautiful, humble, determined and kind young woman.  Hilary was quiet and thoughtful, yet she made friends easily and had many whom she dearly loved.    She was an accomplished equestrian and also loved good literature, art, traveling and organic foods.  Even though Hilary liked living in the city, she still called Suttons Bay home and returned often to see her family and friends.
  A Memorial Service will be held on Sunday, December 22 at 2pm at the Suttons Bay High School Auditorium.
  A scholarship fund has been set up in Hilary’s memory.  Contributions to the fund can be sent to Suttons Bay Public Schools, PO Box 367, Suttons Bay Michigan 49682.  Please make a notation that the contribution is to go to the Hilary Thornhill Chapman Scholarship Fund – or to the charity of one’s choice.
  Please share memories with Hiliary’s family at their online obituary at www.martinson.info.
  Arrangements are with the Martinson Funeral Home of Suttons Bay.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:33 AM

    Dear Kate, Rob, Susan & Eric: We cannot possibly express how saddened we were to hear of this tragedy. We met Hilary last summer at Chris Siemer's wedding and were fortunate to have her at our table. What a lovely young lady, so smart and delightful to talk with. We were all blessed to have her for the short time she spent with us. Please know that you are in our thoughts.

    Jeff, Marie, Adam and Zack

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate, Rob, Sue, Eric:

    My heart goes out to you all so much. Weeks later, I am still reeling from the news and think of it so often, so I cannot imagine what you are all going through.

    Hilary was wonderful. Absolutely wonderful. She taught me so much... so much about art, music, having fun, being kind, being open-minded, and so much about friendship. Any mistake I made, she forgave. She was so supportive. And no matter how much time passed, we could always reconnect and start up right where we left off. I wish I had seen more of her the past couple of years - distance made things tough, but I always looked forward to the chance to see her around the holidays or even just to connect every so often through social media and the like. I was finally planning to try to make a trip to NY in the next year; I wish I had planned for it sooner. I feel a void knowing that she's gone; while it's all very hard to process, I just know that something doesn't feel right in the world.

    I have so many memories with her, that I'm not sure what to share. I guess I can reflect on the family trips that I got to go one with you all -- Kate and Eric, when we took a snowboarding trip, and Hilary and I marveled at the fact that you were so much better than us, Kate! And Hilary patiently taught me and waited for me to fall down the bunny hill again and again... and again. And Sue, Rob, and Eric - the time when we went to Bay City and then flew to Florida.... what an amazing trip! I was so grateful to be there with you all, and swimming with the dolphins with Hilary was just the greatest. I wish I still had photos from that trip, it was just wonderful.

    I'm unable to attend the memorial, but I will be thinking of you all so much on that day. I wish that I could have the chance to see you.

    Thinking of you all, and I'll be thinking of Hilary always.

    Sara Cuson

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wasn't particularly close to Hilary, but during the time I knew her at U of M, I knew her to be a kind, genuine, intelligent, and beautiful girl. Following through mutual friendships, Facebook, etc. it seemed as if she lived an exciting and fulfilling life in pursuit of her passion. I'm saddened to have heard the unfortunate news, but grateful to have known her. I assume a person as pleasant as Hilary comes from a great family and community, and I wish them the best thoughts, feelings, and comfort during this difficult time.

    Alex

    ReplyDelete