Back Button

April 2, 2014


Joseph W. Scott
Died March 31, 2014
CEDAR – Joseph William Scott, 43, of Cedar, passed away unexpectedly on Monday, March 31, 2014 at Munson Medical Center.
  Joe was born on Nov. 28, 1970 in Traverse City, the son of Paul and Tracy Scott.  On Aug. 14, 2008 on South Manitou Island he married Edie Aylsworth, who survives.
  Joe was a 1989 graduate from Leland High School.  He spent two years studying business at Northwestern Michigan Community College.  He was employed at Northwood Kitchens for 24 years where he served as president of the company. Joe’s favorite activities included snowmobiling, skiing, boating and morel mushroom hunting.  He was an avid outdoorsman and could often be found in the woods hunting for the infamous whitetail.  Though these things kept Joe very active, his favorite pastime was spending as much time as he could on South Manitou Island.  You would often find Joe surrounded by his many friends.  His contagious laughter and Cheshire smile made him the most enchanting soul.  Though Joe enjoyed many endeavors and his friends, more than anything else he enjoyed spending as much time as possible with his family.
  In addition to his wife, Edie, Joe is survived by his parents; sister, Jenni (Jon) Henderson; daughter, Hannah; and son, Dylan; and numerous friends.
  Visitation will be held on Friday, April 4, from 4 to 8 p.m. at the Martinson Funeral Home of Suttons Bay.  The funeral service will be held on Saturday, April 5 at 11 a.m. at Immanuel Lutheran Church, Leland, with a visitation held one hour prior.  Urn burial will take place at Beechwood Cemetery at a later date.  The Rev. Lawrence Matro will officiate.
  In lieu of flowers, memorials may be directed Joe’s children for their education, P.O. Box 159, Suttons Bay, MI 49682.
  Please share memories with Joe’s family at their online obituary at www.martinson.info.
  Arrangements are with the Martinson Funeral Home of Suttons Bay.
 

10 comments:

  1. What beautifully written words for such a sweet man as Joey, I am so blessed that I got to spend the holidays with him, his beautiful wife Edie and the rest of the Scott family. Tracy, Paul, Hannah, Dylan, Jenni and Jon my prayers are with all of you through this difficult time. May You Rest In Peace Joesph W. Scott.

    With much love
    Michelle and Arial Henderson
    Empire, MI

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joey! I am so proud to have known you and was fortunate enough to share some fantastic times with you. Actually I don't think I've called you Joey in years- only "Capt'n", a nickname my sis and I gave to you one summer we whiled away the days on your beloved Lake Leelanau with you at the helm of the mighty pontoon boat. I was also with you on your first trip west of the Mississippi, for a ski trip to Utah. Those are the good times, the stuff life is made of, the best times one can hope for, and I am so grateful we were able to share those experiences. You were a loving husband, devoted father and son, hard worker, honest, trustworthy friend, and all around sweet, fun and caring person - a rarity these days - and words cannot express how much you will be missed. Fair winds and following seas, my friend. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:54 AM

    Dear Tracy and Paul. We are so very, very sorry for your loss. We hope your memories of him will sustain you for a lifetime. George and Trudy Carpenter

    ReplyDelete
  4. GT Aylsworth9:22 AM

    Joe wasn't just my brother in law, but he was one of my best friends. I would always be so excited to be able to hang out with Joe. He had things about him you just can't forget and at times is hard to explain. He was one of a kind and was always up for a adventure. One of the nicest people I know and not a mean bone in him. I can hear his voice in my head and can't believe he's gone. We lost a great one in Joe. I will never forget the time I was able to spend with Joe, Joe. What a honor it was! I know soon I will feel him when boating on Lake Michigan and stepping foot on South Manitou. I'll listen for his laugh and know he's around. He was my sister Edie's soul mate and love of her life. Two pea's in a pod and the best couple I know. My sister deserved the best in a husband and Joe was that and more. Joe was Edie's everything and Edie was Joe's everything. Husband and Wife and the best of friends. He was a great father to Hannah and Dylan and I believe taught them values and lessons they'll never forget. Paul and Tracy raised a great son and someone we all can learn from. There will never be a day I won't think about you. Love ya brother.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll miss Joey' s smiling face. I take comfort he's in heaven with the angels.....and George, Florabelle, Fern, Shirley and Bill are taking good care of him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rare Earth Hardwoods is saddened to know of Joe's passing and for your loss. We'll remember Joe's engaging demeanor, smile and a good man of business. Austin Garno

    ReplyDelete
  7. David and Elizabeth Czuk11:47 AM

    Dear Tracy and Paul,
    We were so saddened to hear of your loss of Joe. In spite of the many years since we've seen him, we remember his kind and gentle demeanor; and his engaging smile. Our prayers are with you; his immediate family, and the whole family as you get through this difficult time.
    David and Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous8:49 AM

    Dear Paul and Tracy...Some days... it doesn't seem that long ago that Joey first started coming to Glen Arbor to deliver packages...cabinet pieces and parts to our jobs. I remember those times well. He seemed so young and was just so cute. At that time, he was shy and unassuming...doing his job and of course, he got the obligatory good natured hassling from the guys...and took it well... and as the years marched on, I watched him as he gathered his strengths and knowledge and poise...watched the transition from shy cute guy to confident handsome man. (sigh) I cannot find the right words to express the compassion I feel for your loss nor can I imagine the depth of your sorrow. I know how close your family is and somewhere in that truth lies comfort. I only watched from afar...but can still feel the kindness, the good...the sweetness of Joey. My thoughts and prayers are with you. ("in caelo quies") Suzy Habedank (the painter)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous4:45 PM

    To the Scott Family: I was saddened to hear of Joe's passing. I loved his laugh and I don't think I every saw him without a smile on his face. I always looked forward to seeing him when I was in Leland. Joe came to Cincinnati once with his truck and trailer to help some friends haul back some furniture. There was nothing in it for him, he was just helping a friend out. How do you not like a guy like that. Sometimes the saying, "only the good die young", is true. It certainly is in this case. My condolences to the family, especially Joe's parents, wife and children.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Judy LaCross7:22 AM

    Our sincere condolences to Tracy and Paul, and all of Joe's family on his untimely passing. We had various contacts with Joe over the years -- he hung out at our cherry receiving station in his late teens, then our Maria babysat Hannah a few times. And recently he even talked to Glenn about hunting deer. He was a sweet guy for sure ... the loss to all of you is unfathomable. May Joey now rest in peace in the loving arms of our Lord.
    Love and prayers,
    Judy and Glenn LaCross

    ReplyDelete