Back Button

March 17, 2018

James F. Niessink, Died March 14, 2018



James F. Niessink
Died March 14, 2018

SUTTONS BAY - James Frederick Niessink, 73, of Suttons Bay, passed away Wednesday, March 14, 2018, at his home with family at his side. Jim was born on July 4, 1944 in Detroit, the son of Richard and Katherine (McCoy) Niessink.

Jim graduated from Portage High School in 1962 and spent summers working for Van’s Garage in Leland.  A graduate of Albion College (BS, Physics, 1966) and University of Michigan (MS, Aeronautical Engineering, 1969), Jim was a member of a Grumman Aircraft team, in New York, designing the cockpit of the F14.  Jim returned to Leelanau County where he made use of his mechanical abilities working with Kropp Well Drilling, Gillespie Enterprises (Beaver Island), and various machine shops in northern Michigan. When Electro-Optics Technology, Inc moved to Traverse City in 1992, Jim became their technology designer.  In 2013, Jim was awarded a patent for one of his designs. 

An avid aviator, Jim flew his Cessna 170 for pleasure, sometimes work, he particularly loved making trips to the Manitous, Beaver and North and South Fox Islands.  Together with his first wife, he owned property on South Manitou, where he maintained the island’s grass airstrip.  In an effort to avoid city traffic, he would often make the quick flight from Suttons Bay to Traverse City, when EOT was located near the airport. 

Jim leaves a legacy of his music.  His voice, guitar, and banjo abilities were well known throughout the Grand Traverse Region.  Jim was a single act at The Keller (Shields Restaurant) and at Bill’s Dills.  He also played Dixie Land with the Back Room Gang on and off for 20 years.  Most recently, Jim and his close friend, John Rutherford, hosted a weekly musical gathering at Dick’s Pour House, in Lake Leelanau. 

Jim delighted in his granddaughters’ love of the arts and shared his engineering expertise with Suttons Bay youth as a mentor with their Robotics Team, working with them on several award-winning designs.  His generosity was admirable, his talents unmatched, and his genuine kind and calm nature will be sorely missed.

Jim is survived by his wife, Mary; his son, Geoffrey (Annie) Niessink; grandchildren, Abby and Olivia Niessink; his brother, John (Kathy) Niessink, and his apple-chasing dog, Harvey.

Per Jim’s wishes, cremation has taken place and private family services have been held.

For family and friends, a celebration of Jim’s life and music will be held on Saturday, June 23rd from 3-7pm at Jim’s home.

Those wishing to give a gift in Jim’s name, please direct it to St. Mary’s School: PO Box 340, Lake Leelanau, MI 49653

Condolences and memories may be shared with Jim’s family below or at the funeral home Facebook page:

13 comments:

  1. I knew Jim when he played at Shield’s and would kindly let my dad (Gary Carden) accompany him on trumpet. I was too young to pay attention to Jim’s many other talents, but in reading his obituary he was a blessing to so many around him. I’m sorry for the family’s and the community’s loss. - Michelle (Carden) Riehl

    ReplyDelete
  2. From: Bill Montagne

    I knew Jim through airplanes. I learned later we both were machinist and banjo pickers. What a super guy, and talented in many ways. You just don't meet many like Jim in a lifetime. Both Jim and Mary, just super people. The world has lost a great one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim and EJ Sherry3:11 PM

    Mary, we never had the pleasure of meeting Jim but we did have the pleasure of knowing that you had met him and that you had gotten married! We are so happy you had found happiness. He sounds like a remarkable, talented and generous man. Someone just as special as you! We are so sorry to hear that he has passed so soon after your marriage. The length of time we have our loved ones with us is never long enough but the joy of having had them no matter how briefly is worth it. I know that you two have made some wonderful memories together and in just knowing you and the zest you have always had for living life to the fullest, know you two had some fantastic adventures. If love to hear about them and learn more about Him when you have time. Come and see us or give me a call if you need to talk. I understand your pain and the sadness of losing someone that you would give anything to have had just a little more time. You and Jim's family are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. God Bless you Jim we wil miss you forever Jim was the type of person that had a smile on his face always he is an awesome person Jim would stop by my work just to say hi and share a few words with you just taking time out of his life just to share. jim was there for my family when we was in a hard time and we will forever remember him and thank him for his kindness. Jim would always show up to my work around Christmas with his award winning peanut brittle and would tell me to make sure I shared with the wife😀 he is the type of person that always would put a smile on your face and make your day as as he left to get a new cup of coffee or go to his next stop he always left me a smile as I would think that’s pretty cool he took time out of his day to come say hi to me what and awesome person you are Jim I will miss you forever but I do know you are with god flying airplanes and watching he dog he always talked about. God bless you Jim we will always have you in our thoughts. Dave &Lisa Rahe

    ReplyDelete
  5. I knew Jim for some 40 years! He came to Beaver Island on the recommendation of a guy my father bought a well drilling rig to help us out getting wells in when we didn't have an operator. he was a dandy, had a great 6th sense about him in many ways. He came back for many years and long after drilling as a friend of my father's and several other folk including myself. One St. Patricks weekend he came to stay and I had been complaining about the water at my house tasting terrible, so bad in fact you could only make KoolAid to stand the taste. Went off to work only to come back and find that he had found the problem, mice! The pump was from an abandoned house and yours truly did not flush it out before connecting it up. Boy did we not feel good about that for a while! Anyway, he and George would drop in (he kept a car here) frequently and go to lunch or just see what was going on. I flew to North Fox with him one time which was nice and also helped push me toward flying which I have now been doing for nearly 35 years! Great musician! Used to go watch him and others at Dill's! If I needed some small part made he was on it in a heartbeat, how can you beat a guy like that! Jim (as I recall) played a strong part in perfecting cherry shaking machinery and many other things. When I visited him a couple years ago he was making tiny running engines, there was nothing the guy could not do!Very sad to find out this news, Mary and Geoffrey and all, we are so sorry to hear of this, what a prince of a guy! He will be missed by many!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry to hear this news. Please pass on my heart felt condolences to Geoffrey and the rest of his family. He owns a special place in my heart and will be loved forever and beyond. He was such a remarkable man, he will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A life well lived....full of music and friends. The moderns shall miss you, but those of us way back in prehistoric times who spent many hours waiting tables and tending bar with your beautfiul tunes wafting through business card ceilings and nut peeled floors, you left us your special buzz. Love and Memories ...From all of us from The Keller.
    Jim, we shall miss you and thank you for being such an amazing tune spinner.
    Aj Fischer

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great sense of humor, self expression and musicianship, as well as the mechanical passions. He had a magical spirit. I haven't seen him in years, yet think of him often. I am so sad to see this news.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Literally been decades since I've seen Jim. Knew him from spending summers on So. Manitou Island, my grandparents, Margaret and Jack Brown had a cottage. I remember Jim playing his guitar round the beach fire, teaching us "Alice's Restaurant".
    Sending Healing Energy and Positive Intentions to all experiencing a loss

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ken Shultz8:25 PM

    I was saddened to hear of Jim's passing. Dusty's & my thoughts and prayers go out to his family. It's been several years since I last seen Jim. I met him while working at EOT. He worked off-site most of the time but when he was there, he was always very helpful to me and taught me a lot! We also had music in common and we shared songs on occasions. His talents and intelligence were remarkable, may he rest in the Lord's peace.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was a friend of Jim’s back in the amazing days of the Keller/Shield’s Plantation. He was the kindest, most artistic man ever. I was hoping to see him again in Leland this summer as it has been many years since I moved to Florida, but I am returning to home (MI). Even though it has been many years since I’ve seen him, I felt a terrible sense of loss upon reading he had passed. I’m sure all that knew him realizes how much the world has lost upon losing him. Shine on Mr July 4th...always thought of him on his birthday, and that of our country’s! RIP Jim...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I met Jim at Albion College in the early 60’s. It didn’t take long to realize that we shared a love of all things motorized. We co-purchased a 250cc Triumph Cub and spent hours timing each other around an improvised motocross course. I believe Jims musical talent was discovered at Albion where he rapidly became an accomplished guitar player and formed up a highly entertaining Jug Band. I have fondly thought of Jim many times over the years and it is no surprise that I now read of his many skills and accomplishments.
    He is truly a one of a kind.

    ReplyDelete