Back Button

August 25, 2020

David W. Sterrett Died August 22, 2020



                                         David W. Sterrett
                                     Died August 22, 2020

 TRAVERSE CITY - David Wade Sterrett, 95, of Traverse City, MI, and formerly of Dayton, OH, passed away peacefully at Cherry Hill Haven on Saturday, August 22, 2020. 

David was born on August 13, 1925 to Wirter and Minnie (Dorst) Sterrett, the fifth of six children, all of whom preceded him in death.

David joined the Navy in 1943 right after graduating from Patterson Co-Op High School in Dayton.  He worked many years at NCR in Dayton.  He spent many summers at the family summer cottage on Lake Leelanau and continued the tradition with his own family.  David and Doris moved permanently to Cedar in 1973 and lived in the area for the remainder of their lives.  After moving to Michigan, he became a realtor until his retirement.

David never met a stranger and made a big difference in many peoples’ lives.  He will be greatly missed by all who knew and loved him.  The world will never be the same, but not because he has passed, but because he lived.

David’s wife Doris of 67 years preceded him in death in 2015.  He is survived by his four children and their spouses, Doug (Merrily) Sterrett of Gaylord, MI, Donna (Paul) Bales of Onaway, MI, Dale (Sharon) Sterrett of Williamsburg, MI, and Diana (Dennis) Hedden of Pensacola, FL; six grandchildren, Krista (Scott) Gapinski, Brad (Lindsay) Alexander, Leanne (Justin) Johnson, Stephanie (Jason) Hughes, Merrily (Matt) Robinson, and Ann Sterrett; 14 great-grandchildren; five step-grandsons;  sister-in-law, Roberta Sterrett Terrell; and many nieces and nephews.

Due to Covid, a memorial service will be planned for a later date by the family.  We would like to thank the entire staff at Cherry Hill Haven for caring for Dad the past three years, especially Megann.

In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to Munson Healthcare Hospice, c/o Munson Regional Foundation, 1150 Medical Campus Drive, Traverse City, MI 49684.

Please share condolences with David’s family below or on the funeral home Facebook page:

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:06 PM

    To my beloved father, thank you for all you taught me, showed me, the times and places shared and so much more.
    Dale...

    ReplyDelete
  2. To my beloved father, thank you for all you taught me, showed me, the times and places shared and so much more.
    Dale...

    ReplyDelete
  3. He was a great guy. Love to you and your loved ones. I knew Dave for many years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charlene A. Lutes7:09 PM

    Blessings to Dave's family and may the Lord bring comfort to Dale, Diana and other members who knew and loved Dave and also Doris. Annie and Andrew (Gierkey now Lutes) remember fondly their surrogate grandparents who lived next door in the Sugar Loaf days. The popcorn balls at Halloween and the quality time of visiting was precious and remains in our own family list of memories. May the Lord richly comfort you in this time of loss. He's with Doris now, and I know we will see them again. In His Love and Care, Charlene Lutes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maureen Daniels6:05 PM

    Dear Donna, Diana, Doug, Dale and Family,
    Please know that you are all in my thoughts and prayers in the loss of your Dad, Dave.  
    The Covid 19  put a stop to my visits with him but I did keep in touch by sending notes each month. I know he is at peace now and is with your Mom.
    Donna, will you please send your address so that I can send my card to you and the family?
    Blessings to all,  Maureen Daniels My email address:  556nrg@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Donna, Diana, Doug, Dale and Family,
    Please know that you are all in my thoughts and prayers in the loss of your Dad, Dave.  
    The Covid 19  put a stop to my visits with him but I did keep in touch by sending notes each month. I know he is at peace now and is with your Mom.
    Donna, will you please send your address so that I can send my card to you and the family?
    Blessings to all,  Maureen Daniels My email address:  556nrg@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. My thoughts and prayers go to the family in the loss of a great father. It was the Sterrett family that introduced the Garwood family to the beautiful vacation spot in northern Michigan on Lake Leelanau. Truly a great vacation area and one of my favorite places in this world. My wife Tammie and I were in the area after our Texas wedding in 1980 and I decided to pay Dave and Doris a visit. I hadn't seen them in many years. They welcomed us as if we were long lost family and we spent a great afternoon there on a beautiful summer day in August. Dale was there too so we got to catch up in the waters of Leelanau. Doris of course made sure we didn't go hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always loved your Mom and Dad. What great people.
    Always smiling and full of laughter. I got to know them while working at SugarFoots and they would always come to visit me at Hansens. Rest in Peace. Patti

    ReplyDelete