Back Button

January 28, 2014


Nancy Hunt
Died Jan. 27, 2014
 LAKE LEELANAU - Nancy Hunt, 57, of Lake Leelanau, died peacefully surrounded by family, after a long fight with cancer on January 27.
  Nancy was born November 15, 1956 to Peg (Krehbiel) and the late Walter B. Meeker in Dayton, Ohio.  Nancy's relentless and brilliant smile was proof that every day on Earth, no matter the struggle, was a welcomed blessing.
  Nancy graduated from Troy High School in 1975 before attending the College of Wooster, transferring and graduating from The Ohio State University in 1980.  In 1982, she married former spouse Douglas Hunt.  Together they had four children, who she loved passionately and unconditionally.  She introduced each one to the world with an open heart and a free spirit.  Raising her children, she had said, was her most rewarding labor of love.
  Nancy was deeply rooted in every aspect of life, giving generously to the communities of Worthington, Ohio and Lake Leelanau, Mich.  She moved to Lake Leelanau, her paradise away from home, in 2007.  Right away, Nancy made many friends through active membership at Leland United Methodist Church, Samaritan's Closet ministry and Leland athletics.  An avid runner, Nancy savored the crisp morning air, visits with all of God's creatures and refreshing dips in Lake Leelanau.  In her later years, she served hot drinks with a warm smile at the Pedaling Beans Coffee House, where she worked as owner/manager with her sister and friends.  In Worthington, her time was devoted to family, friends, youth and ministry activities through Worthington Presbyterian Church, Stevens Ministry, Worthington Community Women, Together With Important Goals, Columbus Homeless Family Foundation, Girl Scouts of America and countless other groups.
  Nancy's incredible strength and wisdom allowed her to accept life on God's terms.  She was quick to cry at all things beautiful, and the first to laugh at all things even slightly funny.  She will be greatly missed by her four children, Hilary (Michael) Dickson, of Cincinnati; Frederic (Alexandra) Hunt, of Lake Leelanau; Elliot Hunt, of Denver; and Andrea Hunt, of Lake Leelanau; her mother Peg Meeker, of Leland; sister Kay (Dan) White, of Lelend; sister Betsy (Ben) McCallister, of Ann Arbor; brother Walter (Meg) Meeker, of Traverse City; former spouse Douglas Hunt, and his parents Frederic and Freda Hunt, of Columbus, Ohio; and many extended family members.
  She was preceded in death by her father, Walter B. Meeker.
  In her final days, Nancy had said, "Life is meant to be enjoyed and to bring joy to others." That is exactly how she spent 57 wonderful years.
  Cremation has taken place.  A memorial service will be held at 1 p.m., today, Wednesday, Jan, 29 at Leland United Methodist Church, 106 N. Fourth St with the family receiving friends at 12 p.m.  Following the memorial, friends are welcome to The Riverside Inn, 302 River St., from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.
  In lieu of flowers, the family is requesting that donations be made out to Munson Hospice and Cowell Family Cancer Center.
  Please share memories with Nancy’s family online obituary at www.martinson.info.
  Arrangements are with the Martinson Funeral Home of Suttons Bay.


4 comments:

  1. I knew Nancy as the beautiful lady who always served coffee with a friendly smile. We spoke of our love of our children, special family events, and living with cancer. She was brave and beautiful and I admired her. My sympathy goes out to her family. I know she will be dearly missed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Hilary, Freddy, Elliot, and Andrea: I learned this morning that your mother passed away, and I have been thinking about the four of you ever since. In 1986 I started babysitting for your family (which meant a 3 year old Hilary and a 1 year old Freddy). I continued babysitting all the way up until Andrea was a toddler. Elliot, I remember when you were born. Your parents let me take of you when you were very small, and I loved it. . Andrea, you don't remember me, but I was in the room with your sister and brothers on the evening your parents told them that you were on the way, and it is a moment I will never forget. I was always grateful that they let me share in that intimate family experience. Guys, your mother had such an incredible impact on me. I watched how she mothered you, and how much joy she got from all of you. I remember very clearly how her face lit up when she'd come home after an outing and you'd run to greet her. She provided such a wonderful home and childhood experience for you all and, as a mother, I find myself sometimes referring back to my observations of her with you. Without realizing it, she was modeling for me a way of parenting that worked its way deep into my psyche, and my own children benefit from it, 20 years later. Your mom, and all of you, are a huge part of my memories of my young years. Your family was a constant for me during the turbulence of being a teenager - an anchor that your mom provided for me without realizing it. She was a wonderful, vibrant, kind, and beautiful lady, as you know very well. You are all so very blessed to have had her as a mom, and I am so sorry that you are losing her too early. But I know that the energy of her wonderful spirit will always be with you, and that you all embody her love and will be able to pass it along for the rest of your lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just wanted to express my sorrow in the lost of Nancy. Right now my Mother is fighting her third cancer and like Nancy she's living her life to the full by not only serving our Heavenly Father and helping others. But she's holding on to God's promises in Isaiah 25:8 and Revelation 21:3-5. May they comfort you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry for your lost. My Mother right now is fighting her third cancer but like Nancy she's enjoying her life by helping others.This brings her a great deal of joy. There is a beautiful promise found in Isaiah 25:8 and Revelation 21:3-5 that will bring you a great deal of comfort for it comforts my Mother even now.

    ReplyDelete