Back Button

January 21, 2014



William "Bill" F. Hendry III
Died January 17, 2014

SUTTONS BAY - William “Bill” F. Hendry, 59 of Suttons Bay, passed away in his sleep Friday, Jan. 17, 2014 at his home.  He leaves behind a legacy of public service, professionalism and a dedication to making those he loved laugh.
  Bill was born to William and Myrna (Crutcher) Hendry on July 27, 1954 in Detroit.  He graduated from Detroit Redford High School in 1972, where he gained a reputation as a tenacious and under-sized football lineman.
  Bill worked at UPS to put himself through Central Michigan University, where he was a member of the Theta Chi fraternity and graduated in 1976 with majors in psychology and sociology.  It was during his time at CMU that he met his lifelong buddy and fraternity brother, Al Ruggirello.  “Having known Bill for forty years,” Al said, “we have been through a lot together.  Bill was a fraternity brother, a business partner and confidant, and a ray of sunshine in dark times.  He will never be forgotten.”  After graduation Bill worked as a Juvenile Probation Officer with Leelanau County.
  He married Claudia Christensen at the Immanuel Lutheran Church on June 4th, 1977 - a perfect Suttons Bay summer day.  They would be married for the rest of his life.  They had their first child, Danielle, in 1981 while Bill worked as a real estate agent and prepared to attend Cooley Law School, from which he graduated with honors in 1984.
  The family’s second child, Brooke, was born in 1985 while Bill prepared for the Bar Exam.  He began his legal career at the Southfield-based Lawyers Title firm before opening his own law office in Byron Center, which he ran until 2010.
  Bill was an active member of the Byron Center community, serving as a board member the Byron Township Chamber of Commerce, member of the Downtown Development Association and President of the area Lions’ Club.  He also volunteered legal service to the City of Kentwood’s Senior Center, gaining a reputation for helping those in need.
  Bill and Claudia returned up north in 2010, settling a stone’s throw away from the Christensen family farm on Stony Point.  He opened a new law office in Northport and joined Lake Leelanau St. Mary’s School as their Athletic Director.  He served on the Northport Chamber of Commerce and Leelanau Township Foundation, and also provided legal counsel for the Grand Traverse Band of Ottawa and Chippewa Indians.
  Beyond his professional and community service, Bill was an incredibly loving father, grandfather and husband.  He regularly encouraged and supported his daughters’ extracurricular pursuits, while instilling in them his strong work ethic and sense of humor.
  To his many friends and family, Bill was known for his jokes and (often repeated) stories.  He loved being a grandfather to Eleanor, who affectionately referred to him as Papa. He thrived in the company of his storyteller friends, first with his “Latte Boys” buddies in Grand Rapids and later with the Northport-based Barb’s Bakery locals.
  A lover of reading and boating, he enjoyed taking his daughters, cousins and friends out to water ski and tube on West Grand Traverse Bay.  He was happiest when he was making everyone around him laugh with some of the many silly true stories of his life.
  Eleanor’s belief that “Papa is too big for heaven” is likely shared by all who had the wonderful fortune to know him.  He was a rare breed of man - strong but kind, disciplined but loving, and loyal to the end.
  Bill is survived by his wife, Claudia; his daughters Danielle Hendry (John “David” Oller), and Brooke Hendry; his siblings Laura Meyers and John (Diane) Hendry; his granddaughter Eleanor Hendry Oller, his brother-in-law Steven (Sarah) Christensen, his sister-in-laws Sheryl Hendry and Lou Ann Christensen, and his mother-in-law Ruth Christensen.
  Bill was preceded in death by his parents and his brothers Daniel Hendry and Kenneth Hendry, his brothers-in-law Mike Meyers and David Christensen, and his father-in-law Norman Christensen.
  A memorial service will be announced in the summer.
  Memorials may be directed to the Saint Mary School, P.O. Box 340, Lake Leelanau, MI 49653. Funds will be used to establish a scholarship in Bill's name.
  Please share memories with Bill’s family online at www.martinson.info.
  Arrangements are with the Martinson Funeral Home of Suttons Bay.
 
 
 
 

 

 

 
 

 

4 comments:

  1. Jim Potocki1:15 PM

    Hello family and friends:
    I would like to introduce myself. I went to Redford High for my junior and senior years in high school.My name is Jim Potocki. I came from Catholic Central and I played football at Redford. Bill and I became very good friends during that time. We would always complain about the laps we had to run or some of the more difficult physical challenges we all had during the practices.
    We would always joke around and we were always in a good mood. Remember the times, the 70's and we were young and bulletproof.
    When we both left Redford,we did not stay in touch. I eventually bought a business in Elk Rapids,Mi and moved north(1996).I stiil live in Elk Rapids and travel extensively for my employment
    I often wondered what happened to Bill and periodically I would run into mutual friends and ask,have you seen Bill Hendry? They would say,yes I heard he moved up north,somewhere in the Traverse City area. I tried looking Bill up and was unsuccessful. I heard he was selling real estate. I could not find him
    I went to our class reunion last year,the first time I ever went,wondering would I see Bill or any other of the friends I had met. I didn't see him or if he was there I didn't recognize him.
    This morning,my wife called me from work and asked me if I had read the Record Eagle. I said no,she said there is a person from Redford High in the obituaries. I opened it up and I was shocked. I read about Bill. This is the guy who I knew. He would do anything for you and of course always sharing a laugh.What a life. What achievement .I just wanted to laugh with him again,but it wasn't to be.
    I would like to think that I am a much better person because of Bill. I also want to believe that Bill was still the same guy I knew back at Redford,and I would like to think that I would of fit right back in with his stories and his friends at Barbs Bakery,even if they were repeats.
    all of us have an opportunity to meet many people in our lives. Not many of us can say that they have met a lot of people who truly care about the other guy.I was lucky enough to have met Bill. May you rest in peace,my friend and rest assured,your legacy will prevail.
    Jim Potocki
    Elk Rapids

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rob Arnoys9:56 AM

    Claudia and Family,
    I am saddened by the news of Bill's passing. Bill was a great man. I spent a lot of time with Bill in Byron Center as he helped me with our Bank (Byron Center State Bank / Byron Bank ) business, worked together with many community activities and spent some social time on the golf course. He was a man who always was there for you; willing to lend a hand, listen and give good advice. I was the beneficiary of many of his fun life stories and he always brought a smile on the golf course with his impersonation of Bill Murray in Caddyshack. The Byron Center community is mourning the loss of a great man and exceptional community member. He made a significant difference in the lives of many - we are forever grateful. Our thoughts and prayers are with the Hendry family. Blessings, Rob Arnoys

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peggy Turner7:09 AM

    Dear Hendry Family, although I can't say I knew Bill real well personally, I did have the good opportunity to meet
    him through business and get to know him a bit when I worked in Byron Center. He was always kind, considerate, funny and about as honest a guy as you could meet. I was so happy for him when he could get up north and hang his shingle in Northport. He invited me to stop by if I was ever up that way and I'm sad that I never did. I'm so sorry for your loss....the world lost a good man who will fondly remembered by many.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:19 PM

    Marilyn and Dave Van Laan
    We were so sorry to read about Bill's passing in the Grand Rapids Press. As old Windsong Court neighbors, we thought of Bill when we needed some legal work done a couple different times. He was so pleasant to work with, and had such a common sense approach to things, that we really appreciated, and recommended him to others.
    We know you're missing him greatly, Claudia...our deepest sympathy to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete