Back Button

May 26, 2015


Edward W. Jarvie
Died May 21, 2015

BINGHAM TOWNSHIP – Edward “Ed” Wills Jarvie, 87, of Bingham Township, passed away peacefully Thursday, May 21, 2015 at his home. 

Ed was born on Feb. 16, 1928 in Rudyard, the son of Edward O. and Clarice D. (Wills) Jarvie.  On April 7, 1951 in St. Ignace, he married Yvonne M. Thibault, who survives.

Upon graduating from Rudyard High School in 1945 Ed enlisted in the U.S. Navy where he completed two years of service for his country.  Athletics and education were a huge part of Ed's life.  He graduated from Michigan State in 1950 and earned a Master’s degree from the University of Michigan in 1958.  In 1950 Ed started his career in education as a history teacher at Rudyard High School where he also coached Varsity Boys Basketball from 1951-61. His basketball teams won six district titles over his coaching career.  Although this was a significant achievement, it paled in comparison to the impact he had on his players.  Ed became principal in 1960 and was named superintendent in 1970.  In 1979 Ed became superintendent of the ISD before retiring in 1989.
 
Ed instilled his philosophy on life and in athletics to his children and grandchildren. He often told them "Always give it your best, and forget about the rest" and "tough times never last but tough people do".   He was very proud of his U.P. and Finnish heritage where he would often refer to the Finnish word "Sisu" (perseverance, fortitude and determination) when someone was going through adversity.  Ed and Yvonne loved to attend their grandchildren's sporting events and in the past couple years Ed hosted a "Sports Skills" camp open to all of their grandchildren.  He embraced this philosophy later in life after suffering a stroke in 2006. He remained positive with his great sense of humor and was always grateful for the support he had, especially for the care he received from his loving wife Yvonne.  

In addition to his loving wife of 64 years, Ed is survived by his children, Pamela Jarvie (David), Cindy Jarvie (Fred), Steve (Miki) Jarvie, Kurt (Brenda) Jarvie, Ed (Kristin) Jarvie, Keith (Sally) Jarvie, Lyn (Craig) Sumner and Julie (Todd) McDonough and 18 grandchildren and brother-in-law Jack Rutter.  

He was preceded in death by a granddaughter, Logan M. McDonough; siblings, June Rutter and Patricia Suriano; and brother-in-law, Bill Suriano.

A memorial mass will be celebrated May 29, 2015 at 10 a.m. at St. Mary’s Church, Lake Leelanau.  Father Michael Janowski will serve as celebrant.

Memorials may be directed to St. Mary’s School, P.O. Box 340, Lake Leelanau, MI 49653.

Please share memories with the Jarvie family below:

 

6 comments:

  1. Jane Bolander-Gray11:25 PM

    Dear Yvonne and Family, I am so sorry to learn of Ed's passing. I have so many fond memories of our younger days. I'd go and spend time with Aunt Clare and Uncle Ed and Ed and Pat would help to "entertain" me and there were some fun times. When he was in the Navy there was a picture of he and I and he used to call me "his princess". I guess maybe I was 8-10 then. Then times spent at my wedding and again at 25th anniversary. It was so good seeing him and you at Pat's funeral. I wish there weren't so many miles between because I'd love to be there but my Thoughts and Prayers will be with ALL of you! Hugs and Love! Jane (Wills) Bolander-Gray

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:55 AM

    Dear Yvonne and family,
    We want to share our thoughts and memories of Ed with you and your family. Being from Trout Lake and attending school in Rudyard was a real challenge for us. We remember Ed for his genuine concern for our welfare. He made all of us feel that we were important and a vital part of the Rudyard High School community. After we all graduated and moved on with our lives Ed was always a true friend and sincerely in how we were doing in life. Seeing him at class reunions conversing, joking and laughing are times we will forever cherish. Ed will always hold a special spot in our hearts and memories.
    Bill, Buzz and Don Howes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kent Scheier ('63)12:02 PM

    My condolences to the family of Ed Jarvie. He had such a positive impact on my life during my three years at RHS that to this day, I can still recall some of our conversations. I'll always remember seeing him standing just outside his office door when the bell rang to change classes, prodding someone to hurry up a bit or to try a little harder in a class, ask how you were feeling or just acknowledge you by name. He was a rare breed of man who could always seem to find a solution to a problem or diffuse an awkward situation while showing respect for all involved. I last saw him during our '03 reunion and after introducing him to my wife, I noted that he still looked remarkably young after all those UP winters. He gave me that "something's coming" smile and said he had a secret about that...he spent half the year in Florida! I feel very fortunate to have known him and consider him one of the finest people I've ever had the privilege to meet

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:47 AM

    Deepest sympathy to the Jarvie family. He was a wonderful man and had a wonderful family! I had the privilege of spending time with Cindy and Pam in my college days. My thoughts are with all of you during this difficult time.

    Cheryl Belleville Ozanich rcozanich@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rev. Larry W. Nalett8:56 PM

    My thoughts and prayers are with you all with the loss of Edward Jarvie, my memories are vivid of my time at Rudyard when I played varsity basket ball for coach Jarvie in the old log gym and we went to the district finals. He was a man who taught and cared for the young men that he coached and those he taught history too. Ed, was and will always be a person who help mold me into the man I have become. Blessings, Rev. Larry W. Nalett

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jim and Mary Barry9:00 AM

    Dear Yvonne and family,
    We were very saddened by the news of Ed's passing. His abilities as teacher, coach, advisor and administrator did so much to make Rudyard Area Schools such a great system. As a colleague and friend, we appreciated his guidance and companionship. Our best to you and your family. Jim and Mary Barry

    ReplyDelete