Back Button

November 15, 2016

Allen R. "Dick" Schaedel, Died Nov. 9, 2016


Allen R. “Dick” Schaedel Jr.
Died Nov. 9, 2016

SUTTONS BAY – Allen Richard “Dick” Schaedel Jr., 75, of Suttons Bay, passed away unexpectedly from natural causes on Wednesday, Nov. 9, 2016 at his home.

Dick was born Sept. 9, 1941 in Kansas City, Missouri the son of Allen R. Schaedel Sr., and Eleanor Ann (Feldman) Schaedel.  On Feb. 8, 1974 in Woodstock, Illinois he married his loving wife of forty-two years, Kitty Lee (Pennybacker) Schaedel, who survives.

He grew up in Elmwood Park, IL and Grosse Pointe Woods, MI and graduated from Grosse Point HS.  Dick received a BSE both in Chemical and Metallurgical Engineering and an MSE in Engineering Materials, all from the University of Michigan.  He was an avid Wolverine Fan all his life.

After graduation, Dick met the love of his life, Kitty Lee Pennybacker, while coming back from a ski trip in Europe.  Dick had a long career working as a Project Engineer in the field of power generation and the petrochemical industry in the Midwest.  He worked for a number of firms including Sargent & Lundy (Chicago, IL), PSI Energy (Terra Haute, IN), Rouge Steel (Dearborn, MI) and Scheck Industries (Countryside, IL).

Dick enjoyed his time at home, as both he and Kitty travelled a great deal through their work.  He was a detail-oriented person who loved to work on projects and do them right.  This was shown both at his work and around the beautiful homes where Dick and Kitty lived.  Dick would pay attention to the detail and the quality of the structure of the house and yard while Kitty would enhance it all with her sense of design and decorating flair.  They shared their homes with various dogs and cats through-out their marriage, but always with a Golden Retriever.

Dick had a great love for Suttons Bay where he spent his summers picking cherries or working at Frigid Foods during his youth.  As an adult, he spent time away from work in Suttons Bay and finally retired here. 

Dick is survived by his wife, Kitty; two brothers, Edwin G. (Bruria) Schaedel, Andrew L. (Susan) Schaedel and many loving nieces and nephews.

He was preceded in death by his parents.

A memorial service will be held at 1 pm on Saturday, Nov. 19 at the Martinson Funeral Home of Suttons Bay. 

A private family burial will take place at a later date in Keswick Maple Grove Cemetery of Bingham Township.

Remembrances may be made in Dick’s honor to the Leelanau Conservancy, PO Box 1007, Leland, MI 49654 and/or to Cherryland Humane Society, 1750 Ahlberg Road, Traverse City, MI 49686.

Please share memories and condolences with Dick’s family below:

5 comments:

  1. What a shock. My career at Scheck has evolved over the years, now President of the company. Dick was the first person I directly hired at Scheck, and what fortune I had to have him on my team. What a mentor, leader and friend to us all. I am proud to have called Dick my friend, and I as well as a grateful company will miss him dearly.

    Randy C. Peach

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike Pernack2:23 PM

    I was 19 in 1969 when I met 28 year old, Dick Schaedel It was my 1st job with an Architect at Smith, Hinchman & Grylls in Downtown Detroit. Dick gave me the nickname "KID". Dick Had skied all over the world and I had only skied Michigan. We talked about skiing all summer and by Thanksgiving we were on the road to Colorado with a group of friends. Dick called it the "Ski Bag" and we did it for 7 or 8 straight years. Drove 24hrs,straight though with 3 to a car. Skied Aspen, Vail & Brekenridge. On one of the early trips Dicks brother Andy came. This started lifelong friendships with both Schaedel brothers. I will miss Dick's presence in this world. I always hoped we would get in one more ski bag.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will get these hills ready. The long slope is ROK,Richard knew that. Many times after Aspen we talked about this.I had always hoped he could see the dream realized. I will make the dream happen Richard. Thanks for being a loyal friend and investor. Liko Smith

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the vision kind sir. ROK was a vision of many,your inspiration is a key factor in doing what i do Dick. The North Side. With a view of the lake. I press the boards and chairs thinking of the days when i see the lifts start running. Your principal investments and loyal friendship is what made the dream. After Aspen,i always thought about the "Apple in the Orchard." I don't know about the back 9 at the Loaf,but we'll see. One day,i'll see you old friend. Sean "Liko" Smith We'll hit the slopes.A quote from the Mountain's Dream.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3:10 PM

    Bruce Thomas
    I just learned of my friends passing.
    I met Dick in 1977 on a job at Aglomet Inc in Chicago. I was a piping designer and he was the Project Engineer. We worked together so well that we kept working together for the next 20 years. I may have been his best friend in Chicago. We sailed Lake Michigan, helped each other on home improvement projects, and worked on countless projects at such companies as M&M Mars, the Rouge Steel mill, and a small fab shop I owned in Addison Illinois. Dick was the best engineer I ever new and what he taught me enabled me to work as a project engineer on two of last jobs of my career. I never got a degree which attests to Dick's teaching skills. All of my children new and loved the Schaedels. Dick and Kitty watched them grow up.
    We kept in touch with the Schaedels all these years and were looking for an opportunity to visit them in Michigan but it just never happened. Another of my many regrets.

    ReplyDelete